Friday, April 10, 2015

What's Elizabeth Reading? ...James Clemens (and a discussion of rogues!)

Let it be known that Shadowfall, by James Clemens, was the first book I read with my husband after we got married.

I married a guy who claims he isn't annoyed by my frequent analytical comments and predictions about where the story is going. Since I interrupt at least once a page, this is a true miracle and I consider myself greatly blessed.

The experience is probably akin to having a backseat driver while you're reading. "You do realize that x just happened, right? This character can't undo this decision." "Do you think they're really dead?" "Oh, I thought you were about to ask me what I would have done to create a better plot twist."
I'm almost annoyed at myself, honestly. Imagine reading with your English teacher in your head, and I think that's what I'm putting my husband through, poor soul.

Perhaps I wouldn't have spoken up so much if this had been a better book. Frankly, Clemens needed a better editor to do a final look-through. He repeats key information as if telling you for the first time, some words are misspelled (not an issue with the author, that's an issue with the editor), and right before his climax, he had several pages' worth of informational dialogue that tired me out. It wasn't an I-can't-put-this-book-down book for me, though my husband enjoyed it and kept wanting me to read more.

I did enjoy the story, though, and the magic system was original and well-thought-out. The basic concept is that there are two types of gods, all of which live in the world and walk around like any ordinary creature: rogue gods and civilized gods. The difference lies in whether the god has bound themselves to a region of the land or not. One of these civilized gods is assassinated, even though they are immortal, and one of our two main characters is blamed. He then needs to go find out who really did it ... and figure out what the blazes that murdered goddess did to his body, because now he has a daemon living inside him. Meanwhile, there is a little girl who has a pet dog made of brass and molten metals that no one but her can see, and she is just trying to become a servant to one of the gods (she's in school for it). Life isn't kind to her, however, and even when she does begin serving a god, things quickly go downhill.

It is a great story with great potential, but from what I can tell, the series has stopped after the second book. It's on pause, technically, but it's been on pause for a few years now.

I blame it on Clemens's charming rogue character.

A good rogue can make or break a book. They are your Flynn Rider, Han Solo, Jack Sparrow, Rumpelstiltskin (from "Once Upon a Time"), Irene Adler. The person who has messed-up ethics but you continually forgive because they are so darn charming and witty.

This is Rumpelstiltskin. He has quite the fan base.

Clemens's rogue is named Rogger, and he isn't witty enough. Actually, most of his jokes are stale, cliche jokes that aren't funny anymore. Author Brandon Sanderson said in the podcast "Writing Excuses" that when it comes to his rogue characters, he will sometimes write "SAY SOMETHING WITTY HERE" and move on until he comes up with something good enough. Then he goes back.

The stale jokes don't breathe enough life into Rogger to make us love him, and that left me with wondering what the heck he was doing in the story most of the time. That was his other major flaw, actually; he had not motive to stay with the main characters. Other than the fact that he was introduced and never really left, he really is just there to fill in the rogue character void, and as I said, he doesn't do a good job of it.

I would claim he is a waste of space--except that every fantasy story needs a good rogue.

Clemens's other major problem is his overflowing use of informational dialogue and telling instead of showing all his backstory, but that's a whole 'nother blog post.

HOWEVER. My husband enjoyed the book immensely. It isn't his new favorite, but he wasn't nearly as displeased as I was. So if you want an intriguing read and are willing to give the author some leeway in ability, check this out. Just realize that you can only read books one and two as of right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment