Saturday, May 4, 2013

What's Elizabeth Reading? ...Weis and Hickman

Summer break has just begun and with it, a novel I'm reading for fun.  On the 14th, I'm heading to Washington, D.C. for an internship with Platypus Media.  This leaves me with a little over a week to prepare, relax, and read.

My choice for my first for-fun novel this summer (I'm hoping there will be more of them) is Bones of the Dragon by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman.  I chose it after happily wandering around in the library and seeing that the two of them have a lot of fantasy novels out.  Seeing as I need to read more fantasy (both because it's great and because I want to be better-read in the genre; I obviously need some help if I've never read anything by them), I looked through my options and chose this book.  I am now a few chapters in and am enjoying reading it (both the book itself and the fact that I'm reading for fun -- can you tell I'm excited to be allowed to read whatever I want?!).

First thing to notice is that while most fantasy books follow the tradition of Lord of the Rings in the cultures they follow, this book adheres more to the Viking culture.  I think it's a nice change, though I'm far from being bored with the Anglo-European bit.  If you want still yet another culture for fantasy, I'd recommend you read Daughter of the Empire by Raymond E. Feist -- that series leans more toward medieval Japanese culture (I think, but then, I wasn't around in those times).

Nothing is bugging me so far, so that's a good sign.  I'm thinking I chose a good book to start the summer with.  Happy summer, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment