Friday, May 17, 2013

I'm in Washington, D.C. for the summer!

I have an internship this summer in Washington, D.C.  It's with Platypus Media, a small publishing company specializing in nonfiction children's books.  Can I just say how excited I am?

I got here May 14 and went straight to work.  My to-do list for this next week is an entire page in length, so it looks like this is going to be a trial-by-fire experience.  I like that.  It's like I'm an employee who is new to the company, rather than just being an intern.  I've already helped to package books in preparation for shipping, edited an article we are going to send out, and done a few other things, and that's only in two and a half days in the office.  I love that they are trusting me to actually be an asset to the company, and I hope they don't regret their decision.  Actually, I got a high-five from my boss yesterday when she discovered that I know what "stet" means.  It seems I am her first intern to ever know about "stet."  For those who don't know, "stet" is a Latin word which means "let it stand," and it's what editors write when they mean, "I said to correct this, but now I'm thinking it was fine in the first place, so just ignore the edit."

Today, I did my first tourist-y thing in D.C.  I've never been here before, and I decided that the first place I ought to visit was the Capitol.  I mean, I considered visiting the Library of Congress first, but I thought I should check the Capitol off my list from the start.  Actually being there was incredible.  I walked around for at least an hour and didn't get tired of the sight of that building.  It's just such an iconic place; I could hardly wrap my head around the fact that I visited the Capitol.  One of the greatest parts was it is totally within walking distance of the place where I'm staying.  I think the best way to be a tourist is to live there, because then you have all the time in the world to walk over to a tourist attraction after a leisurely morning.

Here are some photos I took.

This is what you see if you stand on the steps and look out.



No comments:

Post a Comment