Saturday, February 6, 2016

"Writing Tools" Notes - Who's on your team?

In Writing Tools, Roy Peter Clark brings up an interesting question: Who is in your writing support group?

He argues that every author has the following:
  • a helper who keeps them going
  • a helper who understands their idiosyncrasies
  • a helper willing to answer their questions
  • an expert helper to match the topic
  • a helper who runs interference
  • a coach who helps figure out what works and what needs work
Here, without their names, are the people who make up my writing support group. I gave it some thought, and though I don't have a support group like this at work, I do in my outside-of-work writing life.

Who keeps me going? I have a friend who writes a lot. Like, she writes thousands of words every day and never seems to run out. While many writers depend on NaNoWriMo for drive, I just have to look at what she's been up to and I get that kick in the rear I need to get writing and finish. The only problem is this friend lives in a different state; I'm sure I would do more writing if she lived in my basement.

Who understands me? My husband may roll his eyes, but he is used to me stopping to take a photo, grabbing his phone to text myself a note, or droning on and on about the book I'm reading and my analysis of it. He's known me since high school and has witnessed or heard about my method-authoring (such as when I had my sister gag me so I could accurately describe how it felt). He's even had himself quoted in my work and recognizes when I borrow pieces of him. He knows it's all inevitable and is supportive.

Who answers my questions? I suppose Google doesn't count? I actually tend to pepper one of my brothers with questions when I am brainstorming how things should work. He can apply logic to abstract thinking, so that makes him a good fit for when I ask questions like, "If you were to kill someone in such a way that you could capture their soul before it left the body, how would you do that?" If he isn't handy, I'll ask whoever is nearest. Be prepared.

What expert do I consult? That depends wholly on the topic, but I return to my Google suggestion. I have a nursing friend I consulted about a science fiction story having to do with anatomy; I asked my physics-minded husband about a science theory question I had for another story; I talked to a former coworker who does archery when I had a technical question to ask about it. I turn to whoever I know who would know the answer. This changes per story and per page, sometimes.

Who runs interference? The idea behind this one is someone who keeps everyone, including myself, from interrupting my writing time. I do not have a person like this and sorely could use one. If you want to apply, let me know.

Who helps me sort out the gems? This would be my sister-in-law right now. She's a reader, not a writer, which means she brings a different perspective to my work. She reads a lot and has good taste, and when she critiques my work, she gives honest feedback, both the positives and the negatives. On top of that, I trust her, which goes a long way in an editing relationship.

I'll end this post with a quote from Writing Tools. Don't undervalue any member of your team, no matter the part they play.
Talk to copy editors. Learn their names. Embrace them as fellow writers and lovers of language. Feed them chocolate.

No comments:

Post a Comment