Saturday, November 14, 2015

What's Elizabeth Reading? ...K.W. Negaard II

I read Kenny Negaard's book "Clarence: Adventures in the Great Wood" for my work. I didn't have high hopes for it, mainly because I'm skeptical of local writers. But I was wrong. This is actually a pretty good book.

For a cool backstory on the writer, read the story I wrote for the Idaho Press-Tribune. In brief, Negaard served in the military, wrote the book, then experienced extreme PTSD and landed himself in jail. He thinks that's where God wanted him to be, though, and he wouldn't have had it any other way. He's out of jail now and doing well. The story is pretty cool, so you should give it a read.

"Clarence" is about a caterpillar who becomes best friends with a robin, Tilly, and they decide to be roommates. They find a home, meet people and wait for the day when Clarence will get his own wings, but in the meantime, he flies around on Tilly. It has a bittersweet ending and is a sweet, religious-in-tone story. I honestly think young children would enjoy it if they are in the I-just-started-reading-chapter-books stage and love animals.
Clarence book cover
By "religious-in-tone," I mean there are frequent references to the Creator and how He watches over and has provided for all of us. It isn't preachy, though there are moments where spiritual stories are shared.

The writing is okay, not necessarily impressive, but I was impressed with Negaard's grasp of story structure (especially since I struggle with it so much). There is a first climax (finding a home), build up, and a second, larger climax, along with adventures along the way. The conflict for the story starts as being "I'm young and don't know anything" and morphs into "Someday, Clarence will get his wings. What will they be like? How does the transformation happen?" There are mentor characters, a frog and a raccoon, and squirrels provide comedic relief. All the elements to make a story are there, and I actually asked him if he had any writing training. He doesn't, but he has figured out the idea of having a writing schedule, which many non-serious writers don't attain (and thus they don't write anything).

He is planning on turning it into a series, with different books starring different characters, so keep an eye out if you purchase this book and enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment