Monday, August 18, 2014

Writing Excuses notes, Season 8

This was the final season in my self-assigned Writing Excuses course. The podcast is on Season 9 now. I'll talk a little more about it as a whole when I'm done with these notes, at the end of this post. For now:

1. Rogues work because the enemy is even worse, and besides, they're charming.

One of my favorite movies. Haven't seen the new one.
I guess I feel like this is a movie that would transcend a remake.
This was the reason the Writing Excuses people came up with for why we like characters like Flynn Rider, Robin Hood, the three musketeers, Jack Sparrow, (I'm trying to think of a female rogue...) and Irene Adler (does she count? I'm going to say she does). (You know, Tamora Pierce has some female rogues, and so does Brandon Sanderson, now that I think about it.)

We wouldn't like them in real life, but as characters, they are entertaining. They get to have crazy shenanigans, one-liners, and style. They do not have to keep a clean image; we don't care if they dirty it up a bit ... so long as they don't turn downright evil.

Kissin' Kate Barlow. That's another female rogue. Holes, by Louis Sachar.

2. Do not have a resting portion at the end of a chapter.

Yes, there need to be times when your reader can breathe, mainly because if you keep the tension up high the entire time, they'll combust. Okay, they'll just get worn out. Still, not good.

I have a theory that my muse is a cat.
In case you were wondering.
Just don't put these rests at the end of a chapter, because then your reader can put the book down and walk away for a long time. Like, return the book to the library unread, possibly. Hopefully they are more interested than that, of course, but either way, people like to read in sections (I think, but I haven't done a study on it or anything), and chapters are your established sections. You want to carry them into the next one, so give them something that will push them into it.

Don't always end in cliffhangers, though. That gets old. Just keep the plot moving, and don't resolve everything at the end of your chapters (remember that your chapter is supposed to have its own story arc). Leave some questions unanswered, and don't resolve your main conflict until the third act.

3. Do not write a chapter that the reader can skip.

If they can skip it, that means it is taking up space for kicks and giggles and doesn't really need to be there. Quit killing so many trees.


And wasting people's time. Also, if they can skip it, they will get the sense that this story is taking too long to be told. Every chapter should advance your plot.

4. Put description in dialogue in places where there would be a pause.

I thought this was a brilliant idea. Example:
Soda just put his hand on my shoulder. "Easy, Ponyboy. They ain't gonna hurt you no more."
"I know," I said, but the ground began to blur and I felt hot tears running down my cheeks. I brushed them away impatiently. "I'm just a little spooked, that's all." (The Outsiders, S.E. Hinton)
 Wasn't that a perfect pause? Because you know Ponyboy paused between saying "I know" and "I'm just a little...", right? It makes the conversation flow and optimizes the space. It creates a pause, instead of just announcing that there was a pause. This is something I am definitely going to try.

I also like how Hinton only had a small amount of detail. Too much detail, and you forget what was just said. That amount was perfect for how long the pause was supposed to be, I think.

In my notes, I added to this that you should also put in body language where it would be used. People use body language in real life; why not in stories? Mental note to not ignore body language. It can and should be used.


That wraps up my course. My review of the podcast itself? ... Good, but usually what I got out of it the most was from a sentence or two someone happened to say in the episode. You'll notice how few notes I took, and I was listening to ten episodes per season. Maybe this would be a great place to start, though, for someone just beginning to write. That, and if you're getting close to submitting it for publication and want some guidance. Either way, I would give it a try to see what you think. WritingExcuses.com. As for me, I think it was definitely worth my time. Plus, it gave me something to listen to while I was doing my hair and fixing dinner each day, and that's always a plus.


No comments:

Post a Comment