Saturday, September 21, 2013

District of Columbia

Well folks, I'm back at school again and my internship is over. I lived and worked on Capitol Hill for about three and a half months, and I really did enjoy myself. Here are some highlights, and yes, they are out of order:

Library of Congress

Sad to say, I did not get a library card. I walked into the Jefferson building and had a strong desire to swallow it. Zeus had all the fun.





LDS Temple

While I didn't go inside, I did spend some time walking around on the grounds and inside the Visitor's Center. What I loved best about the grounds were how woods-y they were. Especially after all that city life, I was happy to be in a miniature forest ... even if it was man-made.


I was senior editor of a book!

The book is called Leonardo da Vinci Gets a Do-Over, and it's an educational fiction book for middle schoolers. It's about a trio of students who stumble across Leonardo da Vinci brought back to life with a mission to discover or invent something to benefit humankind.

I went through the book a number of times and extensively edited it. The book should be published in a couple months, I believe.


Independence Day in D.C. itself!

I went to the National Archives for a dramatic reading of the Declaration of Independence by George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Samuel Adams, Mrs. Samuel Adams, and Benjamin Franklin. In front of the National Archives, I had a chance to sign the Declaration of Independence. How many times in a person's life does that opportunity come up?

I also visited the Lincoln Memorial and watched fireworks near the National Mall. Yay for the U.S.A.!

Memorial Day

There was an awesome parade, and I also went to the Memorial Day concert held on the lawn by the Capitol. A lot of parades these days are full of advertisements and little else, but this parade was just what one could wish for in a parade: floats, people dressed up, celebration.



Smithsonian Museums

I didn't have the chance to visit each museum, but I at least went to some. Bucket list item checked off! To the right, this is a wall of gold. Makes me wonder how much money the Smithsonian would make if they had a yard sale or auction.


The NEWSeum

I also had the chance to visit this place. It was the last tourist-y thing I did before heading back to Utah. This is a segment of the Berlin Wall.

No comments:

Post a Comment