Friday, April 19, 2013

Kolob Canyon Review



The university I attend has a literary journal called the Kolob Canyon Review.  A while back, I submitted a poem to the journal and it was accepted.  It was great for someone to accept it, because I'd also tried it at a few other literary journals and was tired of rejection letters at that point.  There's only so much you can take, you know?  Last night, there was a poetry reading for the KCR.  There was a mistake in the program so although I was scheduled to read, I wasn't listed in it.  They figured it out and I read my piece.  It seemed extraordinarily short to me, because I read this poem just after someone else had read a short story.

Some great pieces were read, and I had a good time. :-)  This poem below is the one I submitted and read.

Earl Street

Four youthful explorers
took a summer walk.
Adventure pushed them
beyond the mailboxes
at the corner of their neighborhood.
They
stopped
often
for the littlest, who tended to lag
behind,
fishing for pond scum
in the thirsty wetlands by the road.
Past the end of the pavement
they found a rusty street sign –
Earl Street and Greenfield Drive.
Abandoned by progress,
discovered again by these children,
Earl Street is two parallel trails
in the earth, carved by wheels.
The explorers quested
to the end of Earl Street,
where it is erased
by field grass.
Then they turned back
toward home.

No comments:

Post a Comment