Tuesday, January 29, 2013

What's Elizabeth Reading? ...Mark Twain

Finished The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn!  True story.  I did it just now.  I was wearing reading glasses and everything.

I've already told you how much I love Twain's writing.  His characters are so alive it's like they want to reach out of the text and slap you upside the head, saying ... I don't know, but something about how they deserve a birth certificate.  Plus, I think Tom would love the adventure of leaving the books he's in.

Amazing book.  I don't know, though, if I would recommend it to a young reader.  It takes an attention span a lot of kids just don't have.  But maybe to read it to them, that would work.  The story is full of adventure and, to anyone paying attention, it is hilarious.  Mark Twain is always hilarious, at least from all that I've read of his books.

Even though Mark Twain threatened all his readers about looking for deeper meaning in the story, it is there and easy to find.  The book addresses racism, courage, and honesty, but it teaches about them in a manner that is not didactic.  I don't feel that I learned a lesson, per se, from reading this book.  It just made me think.  And that, my dear reader, is one of the main reasons for reading: to think.

On another note, my computer is fixed!  I'm excited. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment